The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) offers a medical benefit called the MedPlus Program, also known as the Supplementary Medical Assistance for OFWs. This program provides cash assistance of up to PHP 50,000 to Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who are diagnosed with severe diseases while working abroad.How to Apply OWWA Medplus (Supplemental Medical Assistance)
The MedPlus Program was established in partnership with PhilHealth in 2016 with the objective of providing financial support to OFWs and their dependents who require hospitalization or are suffering from severe and chronic illnesses such as heart, kidney, liver, and lung diseases. The program aims to cover a significant portion of the costs associated with hospitalization, treatments, surgeries, medications, and other medical expenses.
If you are an active OWWA OFW member currently residing abroad and undergoing medical treatment, or if you know any of your dependents who may require assistance, the MedPlus program is open for applications throughout the year. This article will guide you through the application process to ensure a smooth transaction.
Please note that the information provided here is based on the knowledge available up until September 2021. It is recommended to verify the latest details and requirements from the official OWWA and PhilHealth sources or contact their respective offices directly for the most up-to-date information.
“A significant portion of our workforce relies on some form of assurance to effectively carry out their responsibilities and maximize their job performance. While it is wise to be prepared for worst-case scenarios, accidents and emergencies can unavoidably disrupt, delay, or even bring our progress to a halt. During such times, we can benefit from certain insurance options.
The grant, which can amount to a maximum of PhP 50,000 per member, complements the benefits provided by PhilHealth. However, it is important to note that this program, although it functions similarly to a health maintenance organization (HMO), is a one-time grant exclusively available to active OWWA OFW members and PhilHealth members.
Additionally, please read: How to Access OWWA Disability and Dismemberment Benefits.”
“Approved beneficiaries of the MedPlus program are eligible to receive a one-time cash aid of up to PhP 50,000 per member for a single serious illness, in addition to the PhilHealth benefits they have already availed.”
To be considered eligible for the program, an individual must fulfill the following requirements:
- Maintain an active membership status in both the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) and the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth).
- Obtain a diagnosis of a severe or chronic illness that is classified as dreaded by PhilHealth.
- Provide the necessary documentation as proof of the diagnosed condition.
Please note that all the aforementioned criteria must be met in order to qualify for the program.
Eligible applicants must prepare the following documents as required for the program, in order to continue in their application:
- Duly accomplished MedPlus Application Form
- One copy of Passport-size ID photo
- Valid Passport
- Government-issued or company ID
- Official receipt of OWWA membership contribution, or any proof of active OWWA membership status
- PhilHealth Benefit Payment Notice (BPN)
- Member Data Record from PhilHealth
- Medical certificate issued by attending physician or healthcare professional
- For applicants who are next-of-kin of the OFW abroad: Duly notarized Special Power of Attorney as executed by the OFW contact
- For applicants whose OFW contact has deceased: OFW’s death certificate, along with any of the following to certify applicant’s relationship with OFW:
- Birth certificate of applicant, if the applicant is the child of the OFW
- Marriage certificate of applicant, if the applicant is the spouse of the OFW
- Birth certificate of applicant and Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) of OFW, if the applicant is a parent or sibling of the OFW
How to Process OWWA Supplemental Medical Assistance for OFWs
Once the applicant has completed all of the documentary requirements, follow these steps to complete the application process:
“Follow these steps to apply for OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership:
- Visit your designated OWWA Regional or Satellite Office if you are a local applicant, or the POLO (Philippine Overseas Labor Office) OWWA office in your country of employment if you are applying from abroad.
- Complete the required documentation as specified by OWWA.
- Submit your completed application form and supporting documents to the appropriate office.
- Await correspondence from an authorized OWWA representative regarding the status of your application.”
Please note that it’s always recommended to check the official OWWA website or contact their offices directly for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding the application process.
“OWWA and PhilHealth only process applications that have all the necessary requirements. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you have all the complete requirements ready when you submit your application.
Once the requirements are submitted and the PhilHealth benefit payment is confirmed, the processing of MedPlus applications can take up to three (3) days.
To be eligible for the MedPlus program, OFWs must apply while their membership status is active. Applications from individuals with inactive OWWA OFW membership status will only be accepted 60 days after their membership has expired.”
OWWA Medical Cash Assistance Application
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You may check out these common questions and answers you may have about OWWA MedPlus:
1. Who is qualified to apply for the MedPlus program?
The MedPlus program, jointly implemented by OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) and PhilHealth (Philippine Health Insurance Corporation), is designed to assist overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and their eligible dependents who are registered members of OWWA and PhilHealth. The program specifically caters to individuals who have been diagnosed with severe or chronic illnesses categorized as “dreaded” by PhilHealth. These illnesses include heart diseases, liver diseases, lung diseases, kidney diseases, and various types of cancer.
2. Is the OWWA Medplus an HMO?
The MedPlus program is not an HMO (Health Maintenance Organization) and cannot be used as a substitute for one. It is important to note that the program is not commercially available to the general public; it is exclusively designed for active members of OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) who are OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) and their eligible dependents.
3. If I already have PhilHealth and HMO insurance, can I still apply for this program?
Yes, you are free to explore other healthcare insurance options in addition to the MedPlus program to maximize your coverage for any potential medical expenses related to you or your beneficiary’s serious illness.
4. Can I apply on behalf of two beneficiaries?
“Regrettably, because of the program’s constrained budget and the ongoing evaluation and approval process by OWWA and PhilHealth, an individual can only receive financial assistance for one specific serious illness per member. If a member happens to have multiple serious illnesses, they may be referred to alternative healthcare insurance policies and initiatives.”
5. How long until my application is processed?
Applications for the program will be processed within a maximum of three (3) business days. To receive the grant promptly, make sure to submit your application with all the required documents and be prepared to present your PhilHealth Benefit Payment Notice (BPN) once you receive notification of your application’s approval.”
“While health insurance can be helpful during times of crisis, we strongly recommend that our overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and their dependents also consider enrolling in the OWWA MedPlus program. This program serves as a valuable supplement in ensuring optimal healthcare assistance for you and your loved ones.
For additional information about the MedPlus program or other OWWA programs, please visit their website at www.owwa.gov.ph or their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/OWWAofficial. You can also download the OWWA Mobile App from the Google Play Store or the App Store to stay updated.