If you’re an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) in Iraq and you’re wondering how to renew your OWWA membership, you’ve come to the right place. We also encourage OFWs who are not yet members to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. This article serves as an in-depth guide on the OWWA membership application process in Iraq, providing information on the required documents and contact details of relevant offices that can assist you. Read on to find out how to renew your OWWA membership in Iraq. Schedule OWWA IRAQ Appointment Membership.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency established on May 1, 1997, in partnership with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO). Its primary mandate is to promote the welfare and ensure the safety of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families by collecting mandatory contributions for OWWA membership.
Through OWWA membership, OFWs gain access to a range of services, programs, and support aimed at improving their livelihood and providing assistance for their dependents’ education. The agency also aids active members in times of distress or difficulties by offering financial or legal assistance. OWWA membership serves as insurance, providing OFWs with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial benefits. That’s why OFWs in Iraq are encouraged to keep their membership active to enjoy these benefits.
To renew your OWWA membership in Iraq, follow these steps:
- Prepare the necessary documents:
- Photocopy of your passport (data page and visa page)
- Photocopy of your OEC (Overseas Employment Certificate)
- Accomplished OWWA Membership Form (available at the Philippine Embassy or POLO office)
- Pay the OWWA membership fee:
- Visit the Philippine Embassy or POLO office in Iraq to pay the OWWA membership fee. The fee may vary, so it’s best to inquire about the current amount during your visit.
- Submit the requirements:
- Submit the accomplished OWWA Membership Form along with the photocopies of your passport and OEC to the Philippine Embassy or POLO office. Ensure that all documents are complete and legible.
- Receive your OWWA membership card:
- Once your application is processed, you will receive your OWWA membership card. Keep this card in a safe place as it serves as proof of your OWWA membership.
Renewing your OWWA membership in Iraq is essential to continue enjoying the benefits and support provided by OWWA. Ensure that you comply with the necessary requirements and follow the application process outlined above.
Sure, here are the primary documentary requirements that OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) in Iraq should secure when renewing or applying for OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet. This form should be completed with accurate and up-to-date information.
- Original and copy of a valid Philippine passport (showing data page). The passport should be valid and should clearly display the personal data page.
- Copy of the Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment: a. Certificate of Employment: A document issued by the employer stating the employee’s position, date of employment, and other relevant details. b. Company ID: An identification card issued by the employer, which confirms the individual’s affiliation with the company. c. Copy of the latest payslip: A document showing the employee’s recent salary payment, indicating the duration of employment. d. Work or residence permit: A permit issued by the Iraqi authorities, allowing the individual to work and reside in Iraq. e. Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad: This can include additional supporting documents such as employment certificates, contracts, or any other evidence that verifies the OFW’s continuous employment abroad.
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to IQD based on the foreign exchange rate. The OWWA membership fee should be paid in US dollars and converted to the Iraqi Dinar (IQD) based on the prevailing foreign exchange rate.
It is important for OFWs in Iraq to ensure they have these primary documentary requirements when renewing or applying for OWWA membership. Please note that these requirements may be subject to change, so it is advisable to consult the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate for the most up-to-date information and assistance with the application process.
“With OWWA membership, overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and their dependents can access valuable services, assistance, and programs, particularly during times of need. However, not all individuals are eligible for OWWA membership, as the organization has established specific qualification criteria. OFWs qualify for OWWA membership if they have active and continuous employment and are considered “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Additionally, OWWA encourages OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries to apply for OWWA membership. However, they must still retain their Filipino citizenship and be engaged in full-time or permanent employment. On the other hand, individuals who do not meet the qualification criteria, including employees who fall into the following categories, are ineligible to apply for or renew their OWWA membership:
- Individuals who are not actively and continuously employed.
- Individuals who are not considered “legal” or “documented” workers and lack valid work permits and visas.
- Individuals who no longer hold Filipino citizenship or have become citizens of another country.
- Individuals who are not engaged in full-time or permanent employment.
It is important for OFWs and their dependents to meet these criteria in order to avail themselves of the benefits and assistance provided by the OWWA membership.”
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA IRAQ Appointment
At the time of writing, Iraq does not have an online appointment system for OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership. Additionally, there is no designated POLO (Philippine Overseas Labor Office) in Iraq. However, the nearest office that processes OWWA membership on-site is POLO-OWWA in Beirut, Lebanon.
The Philippine Embassy in Baghdad also conducts Consular Outreach Missions throughout Iraq, which may require an appointment. For more information regarding OWWA membership, OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) can contact the Philippine Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq, or POLO-OWWA in Lebanon.
On the other hand, OFWs who are on vacation in the Philippines can book an appointment with the DMW (Department of Manpower and Welfare) or the OWWA Regional office to process their OWWA membership on-site. It is important to note that while some OWWA Regional offices accept walk-ins, others require appointments. Therefore, it is advisable to contact them in advance before visiting.
Applying for OWWA membership in Iraq
According to a Facebook post from the Philippine Embassy in Iraq, they are organizing a Consular Outreach Mission that usually handles labor-related services. However, it is unclear whether they process OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership. Therefore, we suggest that Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) get in touch with the Philippine Embassy in Iraq directly to inquire about the Consular Outreach Mission.
On the other hand, OFWs who are currently on vacation in the Philippines can process their OWWA membership on-site at the Department of Manpower and Welfare (DMW) or at an OWWA Regional office. To provide convenience, we also recommend that OFWs utilize the OWWA mobile app, which allows them to process their OWWA membership online at any time.
Paying OWWA Membership in Iraq
OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) have two options for paying the OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership fee, depending on their preferred application process. If they choose to process their OWWA membership through Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, or OWWA Regional office, the contribution fee can be paid on-site on the same day.
Alternatively, OFWs can use the OWWA mobile app to pay the membership fee. Through the app, they can make payment using an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Additionally, if you choose to process your OWWA membership through the OWWA mobile app, your relatives in the Philippines can also pay the contribution fee on your behalf using the payment method you have selected.
It’s important to note that this information is accurate up until my last knowledge update in September 2021, and there may have been changes or updates to the OWWA membership payment process since then. It’s always advisable to consult official sources or contact the OWWA directly for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding payment methods and processes.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via On-site/Consular Outreach Mission (Philippine Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq)
To complete the process of contacting the Philippine Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq, booking an appointment for OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership, and fulfilling the documentary requirements for application, please follow the steps below:
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq: Reach out to the Philippine Embassy in Baghdad through their contact information. You can find their contact details on the official website of the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership: Inquire about the available dates and schedule an appointment for OWWA membership application. Provide the necessary information requested by the embassy staff.
- Receive confirmation of the appointment: Wait for the embassy to send you a confirmation email containing the details of your scheduled appointment. Make sure to check your email regularly, including the spam or junk folder.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmed appointment schedule: Once you receive the confirmation email, print a hard copy of the appointment schedule or take a screenshot for reference. This will serve as proof of your appointment.
- Complete the documentary requirements for application: Prepare all the necessary documents required for the OWWA membership application. These may include your passport, employment contract, proof of overseas employment, and other relevant documents. Check with the embassy or OWWA website for the complete list of requirements.
- Visit the designated application site in Iraq: On the scheduled appointment date, go to the designated application site specified by the embassy. Arrive early to allow sufficient time for the application process.
- Head to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation: Once at the application site, proceed to the OWWA counter and submit all the required documents. Present your appointment schedule and provide any additional information requested by the staff. They will evaluate your application based on the submitted documents.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt: If your application is approved, proceed to pay the OWWA membership fee at the designated payment counter. After making the payment, collect the official receipt as proof of your payment.
Ensure that you follow any additional instructions provided by the Philippine Embassy or OWWA throughout the process. It’s always a good idea to double-check the requirements and procedures on the official websites or by contacting the relevant authorities for the most up-to-date information.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account and provide an active email address. This email will be used to send your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details that have been sent to you.
- Open the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details you received via email.
- Once logged in, click on the “Information” button located at the bottom tab of the app.
- You will be able to see your membership status, whether it is active or inactive.
- If your membership is inactive, click on “Renew Membership Here” and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary, and then click “Submit.”
- You will be redirected to the LandBank payment portal page.
- On the payment portal page, click on “Payment Option” and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number provided.
- Follow the payment instructions on the portal to complete the payment for the OWWA membership fee.
- After the payment is successfully made, take a screenshot of your transaction or the electronic receipt provided.
Please note that these instructions are a general guide and may vary slightly depending on the specific version of the OWWA mobile app and payment portal in use.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Iraq
If you’re processing your OWWA membership in Iraq, please keep in mind the following reminders:
At the time of writing, there is no designated Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Iraq. The nearest office is POLO-OWWA located in Beirut, Lebanon.
To process Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) membership in Iraq, overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) have several options. They can choose from Consular Outreach Mission, the OWWA mobile app, the Department of Manpower and Welfare (DMW), or the OWWA Regional office.
When visiting the Embassy or any government office, OFWs should ensure they are dressed appropriately. Applicants wearing strictly prohibited outfits, such as sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers, will not be allowed to enter the office.
For OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site, it is important to bring proof of a confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a negative RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours of the visit.
We recommend that OFWs in Iraq contact the Philippine Embassy in Baghdad, POLO-OWWA Lebanon, and their agency for assistance in processing their OWWA membership. Additionally, they can check the official websites and Facebook pages of these organizations for the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Iraq?
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Iraq.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Iraq?
“You have the option to renew your OWWA membership in Iraq through various methods, including Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or the OWWA Regional office.”
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Iraq?
The OWWA membership fee in Iraq is US$25.00 converted to IQD based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online on OWWA mobile app via an online bank or e-wallet.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Owwa members worth 20k pesos for Ofw ”Balik Pinas Balik Hanapbuhay” program
As mentioned in the video, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) offers a program called “Balik Pinas Balik Hanapbuhay” (BPBH), which provides a financial grant for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). Under the BPBH program, active OWWA members are entitled to receive P20,000, while inactive members can receive P10,000. This membership with OWWA can prove beneficial for OFWs in the long run.
To summarize, OWWA membership is crucial for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) as it offers various benefits to enhance their well-being. It also proves beneficial for their families, particularly in terms of education and support during times of calamities. Therefore, OFWs in Iraq should prioritize obtaining OWWA membership to ensure access to its benefits.
Furthermore, we strongly recommend that OFWs reach out to the appropriate offices since there is currently no available information online regarding OWWA membership. OFWs can also seek assistance from their agency or download the OWWA mobile app to facilitate the process of acquiring OWWA membership.
It is important to note that the above information is provided based on the knowledge available up until September 2021. For the most up-to-date and accurate details, it is advisable to consult the relevant authorities or visit the official OWWA website.
Philippine Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, from Sunday to Thursday
Address: Hay Al-Jamia, Mahalat 915 Zukak 22, House 6, Al-Jadriya, Baghdad, Iraq
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinIraq
Telephone Number: +964 750 810 5240
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 2nd Floor W. Building, Mar Geries St., Hadath, Baabda, Lebanon
Website: https://pololebanon.weebly.com/, https://beirutpe.dfa.gov.ph/
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinLebanon/, https://web.facebook.com/pololebanon/
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: POLO- +961 05 953 523, +961 71 418 657/ OWWA- +961 05 953 524