How to become a member of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) in South Korea
- Understand the importance of OWWA membership: OWWA provides various services, programs, and support to registered members, especially overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). Renewing your OWWA membership ensures continuous access to these benefits.
- Check your membership status: If you are already an OWWA member, make sure your membership is active and not expired. If it has expired, you need to renew it.
- Visit the POLO-OWWA office in Seoul: If you are an OFW in South Korea, you can voluntarily apply for OWWA membership at the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO)-OWWA office in Seoul. They will guide you through the application process and provide you with the necessary forms. Schedule OWWA Appointment Membership Seoul, Korea
- Attend Consular Outreach activities: The Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA organize Consular Outreach activities across South Korea. These events offer services to Filipinos, including the OWWA membership application. Keep an eye on announcements and schedules for these outreach activities in your area.
- Prepare the required documents: When applying for OWWA membership, you will need to submit certain documents. These may include a completed application form, a photocopy of your passport, proof of employment in South Korea, and payment of the membership fee.
- Pay the membership fee: OWWA membership requires payment of a specific fee, which is subject to change. Ensure you have the necessary funds to cover the fee. The exact amount and payment method can be obtained from the POLO-OWWA office or during Consular Outreach activities.
- Submit your application: Once you have completed the application form and gathered all the required documents, submit them to the POLO-OWWA office in Seoul or during Consular Outreach activities. Make sure to double-check that all the information provided is accurate and up to date.
- Await confirmation: After submitting your application, OWWA will process it and verify your membership eligibility. You will receive confirmation once your application is approved. This confirmation serves as proof of your OWWA membership.
Remember, it is essential to maintain an active OWWA membership to enjoy the services, programs, and support provided by OWWA. Stay updated with the latest information from the POLO-OWWA office, the Philippine Embassy, and Consular Outreach activities in South Korea.
Please note that this information is based on the knowledge available up until September 2021. It is advisable to contact the relevant authorities or visit the official OWWA website for the most up-to-date and accurate instructions on becoming an OWWA member in South Korea.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a Philippine government agency that is dedicated to promoting and safeguarding the well-being of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families around the world. OWWA collaborates closely with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to ensure that OFWs are employed legally and are protected in their work abroad.
One of the key services provided by OWWA is a membership program for eligible OFWs, which grants them access to a range of beneficial services and support to assist both their careers and their families’ lives.
OWWA membership offers protection for OFWs while they are working overseas, assisting in times of difficulties such as legal support for employer-related issues and access to COVID-19 quarantine facilities. Financial aid and transportation assistance are also available to registered OWWA members. Additionally, OWWA provides various programs and services for its members, including educational and training benefits, loans, livelihood programs, scholarships for dependents, and reintegration and repatriation support.
By maintaining an active OWWA membership, OFWs in South Korea can ensure they are eligible to claim various benefits offered by OWWA. These benefits include support in times of calamities, medical assistance, disability benefits, death benefits, and burial assistance. Therefore, OFWs in South Korea should keep their OWWA membership active to take advantage of the diverse benefits provided by the agency.
To renew or apply for the OWWA membership in South Korea, here are the following requirements you must secure for the application:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet.
- Photocopy of an active and valid Proof of Employment.
- Photocopy of a valid Visa and Work Permit.
- Original and photocopy of the passport, specifically the page showing personal data.
- Photocopy of the Alien Registration Card (ARC).
- Official receipt of the most recent OWWA Membership, if applicable.
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from their employer or company, confirming that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee amounting to exactly US$25.00 (converted to the local currency based on the current foreign exchange rate).
Please note that this translation is a general interpretation of the requirements. It’s always best to refer to the original document or consult with the relevant authorities for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
“OWWA aims to safeguard and advance the welfare of all Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) worldwide. To ensure that benefits are granted to the appropriate individuals, the institution has established specific qualification criteria.
Both new applicants and existing members are required to meet certain conditions set by OWWA. These include having active and continuous employment as documented workers who have processed their work through the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) with valid work permits and visas. Furthermore, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries while retaining their Filipino citizenship and engaging in full-time or permanent employment are also eligible to become OWWA members.
However, individuals who do not meet the requirement of active and continuous employment are not eligible to apply for OWWA membership or renew their existing membership. This includes the following:
- Individuals who are unemployed or without a job contract.
- Individuals on vacation or leave without pay.
- Individuals on sabbatical or study leave.
- Individuals who have voluntarily resigned from their employment.
- Individuals who have been terminated or have completed their contract.
- Individuals who are self-employed or engaged in business activities.
- Individuals who have reached the retirement age in their country of employment.
Prospective OWWA members need to fulfill the necessary employment conditions to avail themselves of the benefits and support provided by the institution.”
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in South Korea
As of the time of writing, the OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership application process in South Korea does not have an online appointment system. However, overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are still required to schedule an appointment with the POLO-OWWA (Philippine Overseas Labor Office-Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) office in South Korea to renew or apply for their OWWA membership, depending on the safety measures implemented by the Korean government.
For OFWs residing far from Seoul, there is an alternative option to process their OWWA membership application through the Consular Outreach activities conducted by the Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA across various locations in South Korea. It is important to note that attending these Consular Outreach events also requires an appointment, so it is advisable to check the official Facebook page of the embassy for the latest updates on the schedule and venue.
It is worth mentioning that the Philippine Embassy in South Korea does offer an online appointment system for other consular services. Therefore, it is recommended to regularly check the provided link, as the availability of online appointments for OWWA membership applications may be implemented in the future.
Step-by-step on how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
For old and new applicants, here are the following steps on how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment in South Korea:
POLO-OWWA Seoul, South Korea office
If you opt to renew or apply for OWWA membership at the POLO-OWWA Seoul office, it is necessary to schedule an appointment. The Embassy and POLO only receive clients who have a confirmed appointment from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Sundays to Thursdays.
You can contact POLO-OWWA using the provided contact details in this article. Walk-in applicants are permitted only if their appointment falls on a day when the Embassy is closed for specific reasons, and rescheduling the appointment is unnecessary. Additionally, please stay updated with the latest announcements as the process may be subject to change due to Covid-19 safety protocols.
Consular Outreach in South Korea
“For overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are situated far from Seoul, you have the option to wait for Consular Outreach activities in your vicinity. To schedule an appointment, you can visit the official Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Korea and locate the appointment link provided in the relevant post.”
Paying OWWA Membership in South Korea
To pay the OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 after your application has been approved, please follow the steps below:
- Prepare the exact amount of US$25.00 in cash. Ensure that you have the correct currency.
- Visit the POLO-OWWA Seoul office or the Consular Outreach site on your scheduled appointment date and time.
- Submit your completed requirements to the designated personnel.
- Inform the personnel that you would like to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Provide the exact amount of US$25.00 in cash to the personnel. They will provide you with an official receipt as proof of payment.
- Keep the official receipt in a safe place, as you may need it for future reference or transactions related to your OWWA membership.
Please note that the process may vary slightly depending on the specific guidelines and procedures implemented by the POLO-OWWA Seoul office or the Consular Outreach site. It is always advisable to double-check the requirements and procedures on the official websites or by contacting the respective offices directly to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.
Step-by-step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Visit the POLO-OWWA office in Seoul, South Korea, or search for a Consular Outreach site near your location.
- Show the security guard a copy of your confirmed appointment schedule. This will verify that you have a scheduled appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your documents for verification. The staff will check if you have all the required documents.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee. The staff will provide you with the necessary information about the fee and guide you through the payment process.
- Collect your official receipt as proof of payment. Make sure to keep it safe, as you may need it for future reference.
Note: It’s always a good idea to double-check the requirements and procedures with the POLO-OWWA office or the Consular Outreach site beforehand to ensure you have all the necessary documents and are aware of any specific guidelines or changes in the process.
Reminders from OWWA South Korea
To have a successful application process for the OWWA membership in South Korea, please take note of the following reminders.
- It is necessary to have all the required documents and information to proceed with the OWWA membership application.
- The POLO office is available for clients by appointment from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Sunday to Thursday.
- All overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are required to wear face masks at all times and maintain physical distancing.
- When visiting the POLO-OWWA office, OFWs should dress in appropriate or smart casual attire. Wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sandals, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers is not allowed.
- Stay updated with the latest announcements by checking the POLO and the Philippine Embassy in South Korea’s Facebook page and website.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any further assistance.
OWWA Membership in South Korea
the POLO-OWWA Office in Seoul, South Korea
Description: This instructional video provides a step-by-step guide on how to locate and reach the POLO-OWWA office in Seoul, South Korea. The video aims to assist overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are OWWA members in accessing COVID-19 cash assistance. Additionally, the requirements for OWWA membership renewal are outlined, including the necessary documents such as the Latest Copy of the Employment Certificate, Copy of Alien Registration Card (ARC), Copy of Hi Korea Overseas Registration, Copy of Passport, OWWA form, and a cash payment of W30,000 for the OWWA membership fee.
Please note that the following text is a paraphrased version of the provided information:
“The video demonstrates the procedure to locate and visit the POLO-OWWA office situated in Seoul, South Korea. OFWs, who are also OWWA members, can obtain COVID-19 cash assistance at this office. The video showcases the prerequisites for renewing OWWA membership, including the Latest Copy of the Employment Certificate, a Copy of the Alien Registration Card (ARC), a Copy of Hi Korea Overseas Registration, a Copy of the Passport, an OWWA form, and a payment of W30,000 in cash for the OWWA membership fee.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions and answers about the Korea OWWA office:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in South Korea?
“If you are applying for your OWWA membership in Seoul, please get in touch with the POLO-OWWA office to schedule an appointment. For Consular Outreach services, kindly visit the Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Korea and locate the appointment link.”
Note: “POLO” stands for Philippine Overseas Labor Office, and “OWWA” stands for Overseas Workers Welfare Administration.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in South Korea?
You may renew your OWWA membership in South Korea at the POLO-OWWA office in Seoul or via Consular Outreach activities.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your smartphone.
- Sign in to the app using your credentials.
- Log in to your account by providing the required information.
- Once you are logged in, navigate to the information section.
- Look for the option “Renew Membership Here” if your membership status is inactive.
- Click on the “Renew Membership Here” button.
- Follow the prompts and provide any additional information or documentation as required.
- Proceed with the payment process to complete the membership renewal.
By following these steps, you will be able to renew your OWWA membership conveniently through the OWWA mobile app.
4. How much is OWWA membership in South Korea?
The OWWA membership in South Korea is W30,000 or US$25.000 converted to local currency based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
To pay the OWWA membership fee online, you can renew your membership using the OWWA mobile app. Simply select an online bank or e-wallet to make the payment for your OWWA membership fee.
Please let me know if you need any further assistance!
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years, lasting from the date of application.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
“Your OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership will become inactive under the following circumstances: if your work visa has expired or if it has been more than two years since its validity. Additionally, changing employers within less than two years will also result in the deactivation of your membership, as OWWA membership is tied to the specific employer indicated during the application process.”
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, OWWA membership is mandatory for first-time OFWs who have processed their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA. OFWs who cannot submit the requirements and meet the qualifications cannot become OWWA members.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
“OWWA benefits are available to active or registered members, providing them with a range of advantages. Inactive members, although they have limited access to services, programs, and support, can also avail of some of the benefits offered by OWWA.”
“In general, the OWWA membership will be advantageous for numerous OFWs residing in South Korea as it offers various services, programs, and assistance to alleviate some of the challenges they face. Therefore, OFWs in South Korea are strongly encouraged to either apply for or renew their OWWA membership at the POLO-OWWA office in Seoul or participate in Consular Outreach activities conducted in South Korea.
Additionally, OFWs can conveniently renew their OWWA membership by utilizing the OWWA mobile app and allowing their relatives in the Philippines to handle the payment of the OWWA membership fee.”
POLO-OWWA South Korea
Operating Hours: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: 80 Hoenamu-ro, Itaewon 29(i)-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Telephone Numbers: (02) 3785-3634/ (02) 3785-3635
POLO Hotline: 010-4573-6290
OWWA Mobile Line: 010-9054-0694
Email: email@example.com, owwaseoul@polo-owwa
Facebook Pages: https://facebook.com/poloowwakorea
Google Map Location
Please check out the map guide of the Philippine embassy in Korea for the POLO office to renew your OWWA account: