If you’re an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) in Brunei, it is beneficial to renew your membership with the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) in order to access the services and programs they provide. OWWA membership offers several advantages, including support during times of crisis, such as financial and legal assistance. If you don’t have an OWWA membership but have acquired employment in Brunei, you can register at the POLO-OWWA Brunei office.Schedule OWWA Appointment Membership Brunei
To become an OWWA member or renew your membership in Brunei, follow this guide which outlines the requirements, qualification criteria, and steps for a successful application or renewal process.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency established by the Philippine government, in collaboration with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), and Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO).
Its main objective is to advocate for and safeguard the rights and welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families through a membership program. OWWA membership provides registered members with access to various services and programs designed to improve the lives of OFWs and their families.
One of the key benefits of OWWA membership is the protection it offers to OFWs while they are working abroad. The agency provides assistance during critical situations, such as legal support for OFWs facing conflicts with their employers. Active OWWA members can also avail themselves of education and training benefits, livelihood programs, loans, as well as reintegration and repatriation assistance.
Additionally, OWWA membership functions as an insurance policy, offering OFWs coverage in case of calamities, medical emergencies, disabilities, death, and burial expenses. Therefore, OFWs in Brunei are strongly encouraged to either renew or apply for OWWA membership to fully utilize the benefits provided by the agency.
For OFWs in Brunei who wish to renew or apply for the OWWA membership, here are the following requirements you need to submit for the application:
- Book an appointment
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa, Work Permit, S Pass
OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) are required to provide a letter of certification from their employer or company. This letter should verify that the OFWs are not included in the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
Additionally, OFWs need to pay an OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership fee. The fee amount is US$25.00 or B$35.00, which will be converted to the local currency based on the prevailing foreign exchange rate.
Please note that the requirements mentioned above pertain to physical appearance only.
The application for OWWA membership, whether for renewal or first-time applicants, requires meeting certain qualification criteria set by OWWA. OWWA members must be active and continuously employed individuals who are considered ‘documented’ or ‘legal’ workers, having completed the necessary employment procedures at POEA with valid work permits and visas. Additionally, OWWA accepts members who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries while maintaining their Filipino citizenship and having full-time or permanent employment.
However, individuals who do not meet the requirement of active and continuous work are not eligible to apply or renew their OWWA membership. This includes the following individuals:
- Unemployed individuals or those who are currently not engaged in any work.
- Individuals engaged in informal or irregular employment.
- Self-employed individuals who do not have a consistent source of income.
- Individuals who are retired and no longer working.
- Students or individuals enrolled in educational institutions and not employed.
- Individuals who are solely dependent on remittances or financial support from relatives working abroad.
- Individuals who are undocumented or working illegally in foreign countries.
- Individuals who have violated labor or immigration laws in their host countries.
It is important to note that these eligibility criteria are subject to change and it is advisable to consult the official OWWA website or contact their office for the most up-to-date information.”
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Brunei
As stated in the public advisory issued by the Philippine Embassy in Brunei, it is mandatory for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to schedule an appointment before visiting the embassy premises. This policy, known as the “No Appointment, No Entry in the Embassy,” has been implemented in response to the rising number of Covid-19 cases in Brunei.
If you are an OFW who needs to renew or apply for OWWA membership, it is necessary to book an appointment before visiting the POLO-OWWA Brunei office. Moreover, only clients with a confirmed appointment schedule will be allowed to enter the office.
Therefore, it is important to either print out or take a screenshot of the booking appointment confirmation and present it to the security guard in order to gain entry to the POLO-OWWA Brunei office.
Step by step how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
To renew or apply for OWWA membership in POLO-OWWA Brunei, follow these steps to set up an appointment for OWWA payment:
- Visit the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Brunei at https://bruneipe.dfa.gov.ph/.
- On the homepage, locate the Consular Services section and click on “Online Appointment for Consular Services.”
- On the online appointment system, select “OWWA Membership/General Transaction” as the desired service.
- Choose “POLO-OWWA” as the provider.
- Select “OWWA Membership/General Transaction” from the list of services and click “Continue.”
- Next, choose your preferred date and time from the calendar. You can click the arrow next to the calendar month to see more available dates.
- Log in to your email or Facebook account to proceed with the booking.
- Fill out the required fields, including your name, email, address, city, state, and zip code. Then, click “Book.” If you have other transactions, you can click “Book another appointment.”
- Check your email for the booking appointment confirmation. You can either take a screenshot or print it out.
Please note that the instructions provided are based on the assumption that the process remains the same as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021. It’s recommended to visit the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Brunei for the most up-to-date information and any potential changes in the process.
Paying OWWA Membership at Brunei
After successfully scheduling an appointment with the POLO-OWWA Brunei office, you will receive an email notification confirming your booking. It is important to ensure that you fulfill all the necessary requirements before visiting the office, and it is advisable to arrive early to avoid missing your appointment time.
Once your application has been verified, you will be able to make the payment for the OWWA membership fee. Additionally, the Philippine Embassy in Brunei organizes Consular Services Outreach Missions, during which OFWs can apply for or renew their OWWA membership and settle the required contribution fee.
To find out more about the specific dates for these missions, please refer to their official Facebook page. To begin processing your OWWA membership application, kindly follow the steps provided below.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Go to the POLO-OWWA Brunei office on the day of your appointment.
- Show a copy of your booking appointment confirmation to the guard.
- Wait for your turn and proceed to the OWWA counter to submit your documents for verification.
- If your documents are approved, pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt.
Please note that these instructions are based on the assumption that you have already booked an appointment with the POLO-OWWA Brunei office. Make sure to bring all the necessary documents and fees required for your OWWA membership application.
Reminders during the Day of Appointment in OWWA Brunei
“When you have a confirmed appointment with POLO-OWWA Brunei, please remember the following reminders for applying or renewing your OWWA membership:
- The Philippine Embassy in Brunei strictly enforces a “No Appointment, No Entry in the Embassy” policy. Therefore, ensure that you have a confirmed appointment with POLO-OWWA Brunei and bring a copy of it as your gate pass to enter the Embassy premises.
- OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) should arrive on time or earlier for their scheduled appointment. If you are unable to make it as scheduled, the Embassy recommends rescheduling the appointment, as only ten people are allowed to enter at a time.
- Upon entering the Philippine Embassy in Brunei, OFWs should adhere to the Covid-19 safety checks and protocols. It is advised to wear a face mask at all times and maintain physical distancing.
- Make sure that you have all the required documents before visiting the POLO-OWWA Brunei office. If you have incomplete requirements, you will not be able to apply or renew your OWWA membership.
- When visiting the Philippine Embassy in Brunei premises, OFWs should dress appropriately or in smart casual attire. Sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers are not allowed.
- Keep an eye on the Philippine Embassy in Brunei website and Facebook page for the latest announcements.
OWWA Membership in Brunei
As mentioned in the video, the membership fee for OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) can be paid at OWWA offices by either the overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) themselves or their relatives. The video also provides information on the necessary requirements for both renewal and new membership applications for OWWA. In the case of membership renewal, if the OFW is unable to personally process the application, their next of kin can visit OWWA offices and submit the required documents on their behalf.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out these FAQs about the OWWA appointment membership in Brunei office:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Brunei?
You can book an appointment by visiting the Philippine Embassy in Brunei website or to this link https://bruneipe.setmore.com/bookappointment.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Brunei?
- Ensure Eligibility: Confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria for OWWA membership renewal. Generally, this includes being an active overseas Filipino worker (OFW) in Brunei or a dependent of an OFW.
- Prepare Required Documents: Gather all the necessary documents for OWWA membership renewal. These typically include:a. OWWA Membership Application Form: Obtain and complete the membership renewal form. You can download it from the official OWWA website or obtain a copy from the POLO-OWWA Brunei office.b. Valid Passport: Ensure your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of renewal.c. Valid Work Permit: Provide a copy of your valid work permit or employment contract.d. Proof of OWWA Membership: Submit a copy of your previous OWWA membership certificate or receipt.e. Proof of Employment: Provide documents that establish your employment status in Brunei, such as a certificate of employment or pay slips.f. Proof of Address: Submit a copy of a utility bill or any document that confirms your current address in Brunei.g. Other Supporting Documents: Additional documents may be required depending on your specific circumstances. Contact the POLO-OWWA Brunei office to inquire about any additional requirements.
- Book an Appointment: Contact the POLO-OWWA Brunei office to schedule an appointment for your membership renewal. This step is crucial to ensure a smooth and efficient process. Be prepared to provide your full name, contact details, and preferred date and time for the appointment.
- Attend the Appointment: On the scheduled date, visit the POLO-OWWA Brunei office at the appointed time. Bring all the required documents, including their original copies and photocopies.
- Submit Documents and Pay Fees: During your appointment, present your documents to the OWWA staff. They will verify the completeness of your application and collect the necessary fees for membership renewal. The fees may vary, so it’s advisable to inquire about the current charges beforehand.
- Receive Acknowledgment Receipt: After submitting your documents and paying the fees, you will be given an acknowledgment receipt. Keep this receipt safe, as it serves as proof of your OWWA membership renewal application.
- Await Approval: The POLO-OWWA Brunei office will process your membership renewal application. They will notify you once it has been approved.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Sign up for an account if you don’t have one already. If you do, log in using your credentials.
- Once you’re logged in, look for the option that says “Renew Membership Here” and click on it.
- You will be presented with various payment options. Choose the one that suits you best.
- Follow the instructions provided to complete the payment for your OWWA membership fee.
- After the payment is successfully processed, your OWWA membership will be renewed.
By using the OWWA mobile app, you can conveniently renew your membership without the need to visit an OWWA office or go through a lengthy manual process. It’s a user-friendly and efficient way to ensure your OWWA membership remains active.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Brunei?
The OWWA membership fee in Brunei is exactly US$25.00, or B$35.00 converted to the monthly foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
- Download and install the OWWA mobile app on your smartphone.
- Launch the app and log in using your OWWA membership account credentials.
- Navigate to the membership renewal section within the app.
- Select the online payment option when prompted.
- Choose your preferred online bank or e-wallet as the payment method. Some common options may include major banks or popular e-wallet services available in your country.
- Follow the instructions provided by the app to complete the payment process.
- Once the payment is successfully processed, you will receive a confirmation of your OWWA membership renewal.
It is important to note that specific details and steps may vary depending on your location and the features provided by the OWWA mobile app. Therefore, it is advisable to consult the official OWWA website or contact their customer support for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding online payment options for the membership fee.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years, lasting on the date of the application.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership will be inactive if the two-year validity has passed, you have an expired work visa, or changes an employer.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, the OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs who are first time working abroad and process their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
“No, not all overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are members of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). OFWs who are unable to meet the requirements and qualification criteria are not eligible to become OWWA members.”
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available by registered or active members. Inactive members can also access OWWA benefits but limited services, programs, and support.
To summarize, Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in Brunei have the option to renew or apply for OWWA membership at their preferred date and time. They can also delegate the task of processing their OWWA membership application to their relatives in the Philippines, who can visit the OWWA Regional offices or utilize the OWWA mobile app for renewal.
It is strongly recommended that all OFWs in Brunei apply for or renew their OWWA membership to avail themselves of the diverse benefits offered.
Operating Hours: 8:00 am-12:00pm, 1pm-5pm, Mondays to Fridays
Address: Diplomatic Enclave, Jalan Kebangsaan, Simpang 336-17, Bandar Seri Begawan BA2312, Brunei
Telephone Numbers: 2241465, 2241466
Direct Line: 2237052 (Labor), 2225526 (OWWA), 2221173 (SSS)
Labor Hotline: +673-729-1316
OWWA Hotline: +673-729-1315
Facebook Page: https://facebook.com/PHinBrunei/
Google Map Location
Please check out the location guide below of the POLO office in Brunei:
Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)