How to Avail OWWA ELAP – Education and Livelihood Assistance Program

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) has been providing educational grants to a wide range of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents for many years.How to Avail OWWA ELAP – Education and Livelihood Assistance Program These grants have been extended to various groups, including newly arrived migrant workers, individuals affected by the pandemic, and those impacted by natural disasters. However, the support offered by OWWA does not end there. They have also initiated the Education and Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP), which specifically aims to assist the beneficiaries of deceased OFWs.

The Education and Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP) is a two-part benefit program that comprises an educational grant of up to PhP 10,000 for one child, typically the eldest, and an economic assistance of PhP 15,000 for either the surviving parents or the spouse.

If you are a child, spouse, or parent of a deceased active OWWA OFW member, the ELAP program can significantly benefit you by providing support to continue what your loved one had started for you. This article aims to guide you through the application process and help you access these benefits.


The ELAP scholarship assistance is designed to provide financial support to dependents of deceased Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who are studying in primary, secondary, and tertiary levels of education. This program is administered by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).

ELAP beneficiaries have the option to utilize the financial assistance for educational purposes or to establish a small business. Whether you are a direct dependent of the deceased OFW or someone who aids in supporting the beneficiary of the OWWA ELAP scholarship, this program can be of great assistance.


As part of the Expanded Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP), there are two separate categories of beneficiaries. Those who have been accepted for Educational Assistance will receive different allowances based on their educational level at the time of application. Elementary level beneficiaries will be entitled to a monthly allowance of PhP 5,000, high school level beneficiaries will receive PhP 8,000, and college-level beneficiaries will be provided with PhP 10,000.

In contrast, beneficiaries who have been accepted for Economic Assistance under ELAP will receive a livelihood fund of PhP 15,000.”


To be eligible for the benefits of the program, an OFW (Overseas Filipino Worker) dependent must meet the following criteria:

  1. They must be a Filipino citizen.
  2. They should be the legal spouse or parent of an OFW who was an active member at the time of death. Alternatively, they can be a child of an active OWWA OFW member.
  3. If they are a child, they must meet the following requirements:
    • They should be single and not older than 21 years of age.
    • They must be enrolled in elementary, high school, or college.
    • They should be part of the upper 20% of their graduating batch, with a General Weighted Average (GWA) of at least 80% or its equivalent.
    • They should have passed the university’s current admission and retention criteria and have not met the overall residence policy.
    • They should have passed the Department of Science and Technology – Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) qualifying exam.
  4. They should be in good overall health and conduct.
  5. They should not be a recipient of any government-funded scholarship grant.

Please note that this information is based on the provided statement, and specific program requirements may vary. It’s always best to refer to the official guidelines and regulations for the most accurate and up-to-date information.


Eligible dependents may apply for the grant by preparing the following documents as required in their intended application:

For applicants of Educational Assistance:

  • 2 copies of duly accomplished Application Form
  • 2 copies of recent and identical 2×2 ID photo
  • OFW’s death certificate, or any document of similar nature
  • Official transmission record from consulate or embassy
    • Any of the following to certify relationship with OFW:
      • PSA-issued birth certificate of the applicant, if the applicant is a child of the OFW
      • PSA-issued birth certificate of both applicant and OFW, if the applicant is a sibling of an OFW
      • PSA-issued Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR), if OFW is unmarried.
  • Certificate of Registration or Assessment Form from enrollment.
  • Evaluation form or Admission Test Scores issued by the university or school registrar
  • Official receipt of OWWA membership contribution or OFW Info Sheet as proof of OFW’s membership status prior to death
  • Health certificate
  • Good moral certificate issued by college administrator or school principal or guidance counselor
  • Sworn statements, each certifying:
    • That the applicant is part of the top 20% of their graduating batch, with a GWA of at least 80% or their equivalent
    • That the applicant has not taken any post-secondary courses has not taken the EDSP Qualifying Exam and is a non-recipient of any government-funded scholarship grant
    • That the applicant is not a dual citizen and has no resident immigration application in progress, duly signed by the parent or legal guardian.
  • Original Scholarship Agreement form

 For applicants of Economic Assistance:

  1. Complete the Application Form.
  2. Submit two identical recent Passport-size ID photos.
  3. Provide proof of OWWA membership contribution or OFW Info Sheet to confirm the deceased person’s membership status.
  4. Include the Certificate of receipt of livelihood package.
  5. If the applicant is not the intended beneficiary, obtain written consent from either the spouse or parent stating that they are not interested in the program and authorizing the applicant to assume responsibility for the family.

Please note that this paraphrase aims to capture the main points of the original text, but some phrasing may have been adjusted for clarity or conciseness.

How to Process OWWA ELAP Assistance for Dependents of Deceased OFWs

To proceed with your application, please follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Visit the designated OWWA Regional/Satellite office in your area of residence. You can obtain the address and contact information for the office by referring to the OWWA website or contacting their hotline.
  2. Request an application form from the office staff. They will provide you with the necessary paperwork to complete your application.
  3. Fill in all the required information on the application form. Make sure to provide accurate and up-to-date details.
  4. Gather all the documentary requirements specified by OWWA. These may include identification documents, proof of residence, proof of employment, and any other relevant documents. Ensure that you have all the necessary documents before proceeding to the next step.
  5. Attach the documentary requirements to your completed application form. Double-check to ensure that you have included all the required documents.
  6. Submit your application either in person at the office or via a reliable courier service. If you choose to submit it via courier, make sure to use a secure and traceable service to ensure its delivery.
  7. After submitting your application, patiently wait for communication from an authorized OWWA representative. They may reach out to you through text, email, or phone call to confirm your slot in the program.
  8. During the waiting period, ensure that you have provided accurate contact information so that OWWA can easily reach you. Be prepared to respond promptly to any communication from them.
  9. If you have any questions or concerns during the application process, don’t hesitate to contact the OWWA office for assistance. They will be able to provide guidance and support.

It’s important to note that the application process and specific requirements may vary depending on the OWWA program you are applying for. Therefore, it’s advisable to consult the official OWWA website or directly contact their office for the most accurate and up-to-date information.


“Ensure that you submit all the required documents for your ELAP application. Incomplete applications, including those for other OWWA programs, will not be processed. Double-check to make sure you have everything in order.

If your application is accepted, you will receive a copy of the Scholarship Agreement Form. Download and print the form, sign it, have it notarized, and then return it to the OWWA Regional Office.

OWWA will announce the final list of accepted beneficiaries. Within two weeks of acceptance, the grants will be transferred to the beneficiaries’ bank accounts. It is highly recommended that accepted beneficiaries have their own bank accounts. If you don’t have one, the grant will not be sent.

Please note that the ELAP does not cover tuition costs. Instead, beneficiaries will receive allowances. The amount of the allowance depends on the educational level: elementary-level beneficiaries will receive PhP 5,000, high school-level beneficiaries will receive PhP 8,000, and college-level beneficiaries will receive PhP 10,000.”

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you have some questions and clarifications about ELAP, please check out these questions with their answers below.

1. How much is the grant?

For educational assistance, the program provides a PhP 5,000 allowance for elementary-level beneficiaries of the OFW, PhP 8,000 for those in high school, and PhP 10,000 for college-level beneficiaries. For economic/livelihood assistance, the program hands out a PhP 15,000 single grant to the spouse or parent of the OFW.

2. Can I apply for both child and spouse/parent of the OFW?

No, you can only apply for educational assistance for the child, or economic assistance for either spouse or parent, if the OFW is unmarried. This is given that they meet the qualifications.

3. Will my beneficiary be granted a slot once I have applied for ELAP?

No, as all applications are subject to review and assessment by both OWWA and DOLE offices, applying for the program does not guarantee a slot.


“The Enhanced Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP) serves as OWWA’s heartfelt recognition of the tireless dedication and sacrifices made by our Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in their pursuit of a better life for their families back home.

ELAP also offers families an opportunity to ensure that the fruits of their loved ones’ labor are not squandered.How to Avail OWWA ELAP – Education and Livelihood Assistance Program By actively supporting and assisting your OFW relatives in maintaining their OWWA membership, they can access the benefits provided by ELAP and other OWWA programs.

To learn more about ELAP and other programs offered by OWWA, please visit their official website at or check out their verified Facebook page at”

Similar Posts