OFW Balik Manggagawa | Apply OEC (Overseas Employment Certificate)

The OEC (Overseas Employment Certificate) is an essential document that Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) need to obtain in order to apply for jobs in foreign countries. It serves as proof that the individual has a legal employer and has undergone the necessary documentation to work overseas. The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) requires both first-time OFWs and returning workers to secure an OEC before leaving the country.Having an OEC is crucial for OFWs because without it, they cannot return to their host country to work abroad. Therefore, it is important for OFWs to familiarize themselves with the application process to ensure a smooth transition. The following guide outlines the steps to secure an OEC:OFW Balik Manggagawa | Apply OEC (Overseas Employment Certificate)

  1. Registration: OFWs need to register online through the POEA website or at a designated POEA office. The registration process involves providing personal information, employment details, and other necessary documents.
  2. Appointment: After registration, OFWs must schedule an appointment with the POEA for document verification and payment of fees. The appointment can be made online or through the POEA’s appointment system.
  3. Document Verification: During the appointment, the OFW’s documents, such as employment contracts, work permits, and valid identification, will be verified by POEA personnel. It is important to ensure that all required documents are complete and accurate.
  4. Payment of Fees: OFWs are required to pay certain fees associated with obtaining the OEC. The fees may include processing fees, OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership contributions, and other applicable charges. The amount of fees may vary depending on the worker’s category and destination country.
  5. OEC Issuance: Once the documents have been verified and the fees have been paid, the POEA will issue the OEC. This certificate will serve as proof that the OFW is allowed to leave the country and work abroad legally.

Having an OEC provides several benefits for OFWs. It exempts them from paying certain fees and taxes, and it can be used as supporting documentation when applying for loans in the Philippines.

It is important for OFWs to comply with the requirements and procedures set by the POEA to secure their OEC. Adhering to the proper application process ensures that OFWs can legally work abroad and enjoy the benefits and protections provided by the Philippine government.

What is OEC?

One of the primary documents that overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) need to secure is the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) in order to work abroad. The OEC, also known as an exit clearance/pass, is a mandatory requirement issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) for all OFWs who are leaving or returning to their overseas employment.

The OEC serves as proof that an OFW underwent legal recruitment and documentation processes and also acts as registration proof with the POEA. It ensures that the OFW has met the necessary requirements and has been properly documented before leaving the country for work abroad. The OEC is an important document as it helps protect the rights and welfare of OFWs and ensures compliance with Philippine labor laws and regulations.

OFWs can obtain their OEC through the Balik-Manggagawa Online Processing System (BM Online) provided by the POEA. This online system allows OFWs to apply for their OEC and complete the necessary processes without the need to visit a POEA office in person. Through BM Online, OFWs can schedule their appointment, fill out the application form, and pay the necessary fees online.

It’s important for OFWs to secure their OEC before leaving the country to avoid any issues or delays during their travel or upon their return. The OEC serves as a validation that the OFW is a documented and registered worker, providing them with certain benefits and protections while working abroad.

What is the meaning of OEC?

“OEC stands for Overseas Employment Certificate, which is a mandatory document for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who are leaving the country. The requirement for obtaining an OEC is set by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). The OEC serves as a clearance that OFWs must present to the immigration officers at the Philippine airport before their departure. Without an OEC, an OFW may be detained or prohibited from leaving the country.”

The Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) serves as proof that an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) has paid the necessary contributions to various government agencies such as PhilHealth, Pag-IBIG, OWWA membership, and POEA processing fees. It is an important document that OFWs need to secure before departing from the Philippines to work abroad.

The OEC is obtained from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) or the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). It ensures that the OFW is compliant with the necessary requirements and has fulfilled their financial obligations.

If an OFW’s OEC has expired while they are working abroad and they plan to return to the Philippines and go back to their overseas employment within 60 days, they can secure a new OEC from the POLO offices. This allows them to have a valid OEC before returning to their work abroad.

It is crucial for OFWs to ensure that they have an active OEC before departing from the Philippines. This ensures that they are compliant with the necessary requirements and have paid the required contributions. It is also important to stay updated with the regulations and requirements set by the government agencies involved in order to have a smooth and hassle-free overseas employment experience.


As an exit pass, the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) offers several benefits for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) when traveling abroad. Here are the advantages associated with having an OEC:

  1. Travel Tax Exemption: OFWs who present their OEC at the airport can enjoy a travel tax exemption. This exemption is typically around Php 1,620.00. It means that OFWs can save money by not having to pay the travel tax, which is usually imposed on passengers departing from the Philippines.
  2. Waived Airport Terminal Fees: In addition to the travel tax exemption, OFWs with an OEC are also exempted from paying airport terminal fees. This waiver further reduces the financial burden on OFWs when traveling abroad.
  3. Lower Travel Tax for Spouse and Dependents: The OEC also extends benefits to the spouse and dependents of OFWs. When traveling with an OFW who has an OEC, their family members can enjoy a lower travel tax rate. This helps alleviate some of the expenses associated with traveling for the entire family.
  4. Protection, Assistance, and Benefits: Beyond the financial advantages, the OEC ensures that OFWs receive protection, assistance, and benefits from the Philippine Government, even while they are working abroad. It serves as a documentation of their overseas employment and validates their status as an OFW, allowing them to access various government services and support systems.

These benefits are designed to ease the financial burden on OFWs and provide them with necessary support and protection while they work and travel abroad.


To secure an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC), the primary requirements needed for the application are as follows:

  1. Printed Balik-Manggagawa or Online Appointment Information Sheet: This document serves as proof that you have scheduled an appointment with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) for OEC processing. You can either print the appointment information sheet or present it in electronic form if you made an online appointment.
  2. Passport with at least six months validity before the date of departure: Your passport should have a validity of at least six months beyond your planned departure date. Make sure your passport is not damaged and has blank pages for visa endorsements.
  3. Valid Employment Contract or Proof of Employment: You need to provide a valid employment contract or proof of employment from your employer abroad. This document should include details such as your job description, salary, duration of employment, and other relevant terms and conditions.
  4. Valid Work Permit or Work Visa: Depending on the country you will be working in, you will need to provide a valid work permit or work visa. This document is issued by the destination country’s immigration or labor authorities and permits you to work legally in that country.

It’s important to note that additional requirements may be necessary based on the type of worker you are (skilled worker, household service worker, professional worker) and the specific requirements of the destination country. For example, countries like the United States and Canada may have additional document requirements. It’s advisable to check the latest list of required documents for securing an OEC, especially if you are bound for these countries. The POEA website or your recruitment agency can provide you with the most up-to-date information regarding the specific requirements for your situation.

Requirements for Skilled and Professional Workers

educational certificates, professional licenses, employment contracts, curriculum vitae/resume, and proof of relevant work experience. Additionally, they may be required to provide a valid passport, medical certificates, and a police clearance certificate.

In the second phase, OFWs need to submit documents specific to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These may include a completed Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) application form, a copy of their employment contract or offer letter, a valid Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) exemption number (if applicable), a valid OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership certificate, and proof of payment for the necessary fees.

It’s important for OFWs to carefully review the requirements set by both the host country and the POEA to ensure a smooth application process. Additionally, the specific documents and requirements may vary depending on the country of destination and the type of employment being pursued. It is recommended for OFWs to consult with the POEA or their respective recruitment agencies for accurate and up-to-date information regarding the application process and requirements.


  • Employer’s Business License and Company Profile
  • Endorsement Letter from Philippine Overseas Labor Office requesting exemption on direct-hiring ban

Step 1: Submit Additional Requirements

Under the first phase of the application, OFWs should also submit the following requirements supporting the job application:

  • Business Permit (self-employed) or Certificate of Employment
  • Diploma and Transcript of Records (TOR)
  • Resume or Curriculum Vitae
  • PRC License or NC II
  • Certificate of Insurance Coverage which covers given benefits under:
    • Notarized Statement of How the Worker Acquire the Employment
    • Section 37-A of RA 8042
  • Photocopy of Employer’s ID, Passport, and Contact Information

Step 2: Government Labor-Related Requirements

For the second phase of the application, OFWs need to comply with the local labor law by submitting the following:

  • E-Registration Account
  • Medical Certificate from DOH-accredited clinics
  • Medical Exam
  • Pre-Employment Orientation Seminar Certificate (PEOS)
  • OWWA issued the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar Certificate (PDOS)
  • Clearance from POEA
  • Copy of Certificate of Insurance Coverage

Contribution fees

When applying for OEC, OFWs also need to pay necessary contribution fees, including:

  • POEA Processing Fee of Php 100.00 for every OEC e-receipt
  • OWWA Membership Fee of exactly US$25.00 (converted to local currency based on the foreign exchange)
  • Pag-IBIG contribution fee of at least Php 100.000 per month
  • PhilHealth contribution fee of P2,400 for one-year coverage
  • If hired by a recruitment agency, agencies will charge employers with the following:
  • POEA Processing Fee of Php 200.00
  • OWWA Membership Fee of US$25.00
  • PhilHealth-Medicare contribution fee of Php 900.00 for one-year coverage


Before compiling the necessary documents, check if you fall under the following individuals who are qualified to secure an OEC, including:

  • Filipinos who obtained employment from an overseas employer through direct hiring
  • Hired via a recruitment agency
  • OFWs hired through POEA’s Government Placement Branch (GBP)

How to Get an OEC Certificate Online through POPS Bam

Sure, I can help you with that. It seems like you’re referring to the process of obtaining an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are on leave or vacation in the Philippines and need to fulfill their existing employment contract or renew their job contract with the same employer. The recommended platform for obtaining the OEC is the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration’s (POEA) new system called POPS Bam.

POPS Bam is an online platform that allows OFWs to process their OEC and other related documents. It replaces the Balik-Manggagawa (BM) online system, which has been non-operational since 2021. If you have an existing BM online account, it is advisable to transfer it to POPS Bam to continue using the services provided by the POEA.

By using POPS Bam, OFWs who are on leave or vacationing in the Philippines and have an existing employment contract to fulfill can obtain their OEC. Additionally, OFWs who have returned to the country and plan to renew their job contract with the same employer can also use POPS Bam to process their OEC.

Please note that specific instructions and requirements may vary, and it’s always best to refer to the official website of the POEA or contact their customer support for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the process of obtaining an OEC through POPS Bam.

Step 1: Go to the POEA Online Services Portal website.

Log in to your e-Registration account or transfer your BM online account to POPS Bam.

If your e-Registration account is newly created, wait for 24 hours to automatically match your records from BM online system.
“Upon reviewing the details of your contract, for individuals who do not have existing BM accounts, the POPS Bam system will redirect you to the BM appointment page.”

Step 2: Proceed to the Balik Manggagawa Module

On the dashboard page, click Balik Manggagawa under My Links.
“If you encounter incomplete details in your My Profile section, an error message will be displayed on your screen. The error message will provide you with a list of the data that is not available in your account.”

Click the Home button and go to My Profile to submit the lacking details.

Once you’ve completed your profile, go back to the Balik Manggawa Module and click Next.

Step 3: Input your flight date

Provide your flight date and read the reminders before clicking Next. Also, make sure that you apply for OEC 60 days before your flight date.

Step 4: Check and update the information on your contract

Review your contract details if you have an existing record in the system and answer the questions.


If you’re working with the same employer and job site, answer yes to get your OEC.

Nonetheless, for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who have no existing records or need to update their information, they have the option to change the Name and Business Permit Number/Valid ID of their new employer.

After filling out the necessary form, you will be redirected to the BM (Balik Manggagawa) Appointment page. It is important to note that you cannot acquire an OEC (Overseas Employment Certificate) without personally visiting a POEA (Philippine Overseas Employment Administration) office for the appointment.”


On the BM Appointment page, select your preferred processing location.

Step 5: Print OEC

Check your OEC details before clicking Print OEC.

You can pay the OEC fees via online banking, e-wallet, or payment centers.

How to Get an OEC Certificate via POLO Office

Certainly! If some Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) plan to visit their home country for a short period and then return to their country of work within a month, they can secure an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) from the nearest Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in their destination country. However, it’s important to note that the application process may vary from country to country. Here are some basic steps to follow:

  1. Determine the nearest POLO office: Research and find out the location of the nearest POLO office in the country where you’re currently working. POLO offices are typically located in Philippine embassies or consulates.
  2. Gather required documents: Before visiting the POLO office, make sure you have all the necessary documents for your OEC application. These documents may include your valid passport, work contract or employment certificate, proof of overseas employment (such as a valid work visa or work permit), and other supporting documents specific to your situation.
  3. Check application requirements: Visit the official website of the POLO office or contact them directly to inquire about the specific application requirements. They will provide you with the necessary information and forms that need to be filled out.
  4. Submit your application: Once you have gathered all the required documents and completed the application forms, visit the POLO office during their designated office hours. Submit your application along with the supporting documents to the designated personnel. They will guide you through the submission process and let you know if any additional steps are required.
  5. Pay the necessary fees: There may be fees associated with the OEC application. Pay the required fees as instructed by the POLO office. The fees can vary, so make sure to inquire about the specific amount and the accepted payment methods.
  6. Attend any necessary interviews or orientations: Depending on the country and the specific circumstances, you may be required to attend an interview or orientation session. Follow the instructions given by the POLO office and make sure to attend these sessions if necessary.
  7. Wait for processing: After submitting your application and completing any additional requirements, the POLO office will process your application. The processing time can vary, so it’s advisable to inquire about the estimated processing time and any follow-up procedures during your visit.
  8. Collect your OEC: Once your application is approved and processed, you can collect your OEC from the POLO office. Follow the instructions provided by the office to obtain your OEC.

Remember, these steps are general guidelines, and it’s important to check with the specific POLO office in your destination country for accurate and up-to-date information regarding the application process and requirements.

  1. Set an OEC online appointment at the POEA Online Services Portal website.
  2. Go to the appointment section for the OEC application
  3. Choose the nearest location and branch of the POLO office for your appointment.
  4. Print the Appointment Sheet and bring it on the day of your visit.
  5. Visit the POLO office on the day of your appointment.
  6. Submit the requirements, including POLO Verified Employment Contract and other equivalent documents.
  7. Pay the OEC fees and collect your receipt.
  8. Go to your e-Registration account, and click My Transactions to print your OEC.

How to Get an OEC Certificate via POEA office in the Philippines

If hired directly by an overseas employer, you can apply for an OEC by following the process below:

Step 1: Approval of POEA Clearance

  • Send an email to POEA Hire Assistance Division (DHAD) at dhad_lbc@yahoo.com to request an appointment.
  • Wait for a confirmation email regarding your appointment schedule. Print the confirmation email and bring it during your visit.
  • Head to the POEA office on the day of your appointment.
  • Submit the documents required for direct-hired workers.
  • Visit the website of POEA to check the post of approved POEA clearance. Once you have an approved POEA Clearance, apply for OEC.

Step 2: Acquire OEC

  • Send an email to dhad_lbc@yahoo.com to request an appointment for OEC.
  • Print the confirmation email of your appointment schedule.
  • Head to the POEA office on the day of your appointment.
  • Apply for PDOS and partake in a seminar. Afterward, acquire and photocopy your PDOS Certificate.
  • Proceed to the application of OEC and submit your requirements.
  • Pay the necessary OEC fees and collect your receipt.

If you are hired by an agency, the agency will be responsible for submitting your documents to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), and the employer will cover the associated fees. Once the process is completed, the POEA will issue an e-receipt, which will serve as your travel exit pass.

On the other hand, if you are hired directly by the POEA Government Placement Branch (GPB), you will need to acquire a visa for your intended destination and pay the necessary fees to obtain an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). The OEC is a document required for Filipino workers going abroad for employment purposes.”

Please note that the information provided is based on the general processes as of my last knowledge update in September 2021. It’s essential to consult the latest guidelines and regulations from the POEA or relevant authorities for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Sample of OEC Certificate

Please check out this image sample of the Overseas Employment Certificate so you have an idea of what it looks like.

What is the difference between OEC and Balik Manggagawa?

In accordance with the explanation provided by the POEA, Balik Manggawa or returning workers refer to Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who have completed their employment contract and are returning to work with either the same employer or a new employer at the same or different job site. These workers already have a record in the POEA database under the deployed workers category.

Additionally, OFWs classified as Balik Manggawa are eligible for an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) exemption. Essentially, Balik Manggagawa pertains to individuals who are renewing their employment contract with the same employer.”

If you fall under the returning worker’s category, you can apply for an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) through the Balik Manggagawa Online Processing System website in order to obtain an exemption number. This exemption number allows you to bypass the need to secure an OEC and pay processing fees to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). Instead, when traveling, you will only need to present your passport and valid work visa at the airport.

It’s important to note that the OEC serves as an exit clearance document specifically required for Balik Manggagawa, which refers to Filipino workers who are returning to their overseas employment, as well as first-time overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). The OEC is a document that verifies your status as a legitimate OFW and ensures that you have met the necessary requirements and clearances for working abroad.

Update Paano Kumuha ng OEC Overseas Employment Certificate Online or Exemption Balik Manggagawa OFW

As discussed in the video, OFWs can apply for an OEC at https://www.bmonline.ph/. If you don’t have an account, fill out the New User section.

  1. First, log in to your account on the POPS (Philippine Overseas Employment Administration Online Processing System) BAM (Balik Manggagawa) system. If you don’t have an account yet, you may need to register first.
  2. Once logged in, navigate to the dashboard and click on the “Balik Manggagawa” option.
  3. On the next page, you’ll be prompted to enter your flight date. Provide the accurate flight date and click “Next” to proceed.
  4. Review the information you’ve entered, make sure it’s correct, and click “Next” to continue.
  5. You’ll then be directed to the payment page, where you can choose your preferred payment method. The online application allows OFWs to pay using various payment options, making it more convenient for them.
  6. After completing the payment, you’ll receive a confirmation or reference number. Make sure to keep this number for future reference.
  7. Once the payment is processed successfully, your OEC or exemption will be generated, and you’ll be able to download it from your account.

By utilizing the online application for OEC, OFWs can avoid the need to queue or visit a physical office to secure their OEC. The process can be completed conveniently from anywhere with an internet connection, providing a more efficient and streamlined experience for overseas Filipino workers.

Frequently Asked Questions

Please check out these common questions and answers about the OEC application process:

1. What are the requirements to get OEC?

The primary requirements for OEC are the following:

  • Printed Balik-Manggawa or Online Appointment Information Sheet
  • Passport with at least six months validity before the date of departure
  • Valid Employment Contract or Proof of Employment
  • Valid Work Permit or Work Visa

You will need to submit additional requirements to support your job application and specific documents requested based on the host country.

2. Can I get OEC without an appointment?

“If you are eligible to obtain an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) online, there is no need to schedule an appointment. Some POEA (Philippine Overseas Employment Administration) and POLO (Philippine Overseas Labor Office) offices also accommodate walk-in applicants, but it is advisable to verify if your preferred location follows this procedure.”

3. Can I get OEC without OWWA membership?

No, securing an OEC is impossible if you don’t have an active OWWA membership.

4. Do I need OEC to go back to the Philippines?

No, an OEC is not needed to enter the Philippines since POEA only requires it when OFWs leave the country to work overseas.

5. How long is OEC valid?

The OEC is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance.

6. How to get OEC with the same employer?

If you’re a Balik Manggagawa, log in to your BM online account and click Acquire OEC or Exemption.

7. Can I get OEC at the airport?

Yes, OFWs can get an OEC at the airport, especially those with confirmed flight bookings and emergency leave.


It seems like you’re referring to the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC), which is a document required by the Philippine government for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to facilitate their travel and employment abroad. The information you provided is generally accurate, but it’s important to note that I can provide information up until September 2021, and there might have been updates or changes since then. Please consult the relevant government authorities or agencies for the most up-to-date information regarding OEC requirements and exemptions.

The OEC serves as proof that an OFW is properly documented and authorized to work abroad. It is typically obtained from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) or its designated offices. Here are some key points related to the OEC:

  1. Necessity for Immigration Clearance: The OEC is required for OFWs to pass through immigration upon departure from the Philippines and to exit the airport. It ensures that the worker’s departure is lawful and that they are compliant with the necessary requirements.
  2. Exemption from Fees: Holding an OEC grants OFWs exemption from certain fees, such as travel tax, terminal fee, and airport tax, which can help reduce the financial burden associated with travel.
  3. OEC Exemption for Balik Manggagawa: Balik Manggagawa refers to OFWs who are returning to their previous employers abroad. Under certain conditions and criteria set by the POEA, Balik Manggagawa may be exempted from obtaining a new OEC for their return travel. It is advisable to process the OEC exemption at least 60 days before departure to allow sufficient time for verification and processing.

It’s worth mentioning that the OEC requirements and procedures can vary and may be subject to changes over time. Therefore, it’s essential to consult the official websites of the POEA or relevant government agencies for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Similar Posts