- Check your membership status: Before proceeding with the renewal process, it’s important to know your current membership status. You can do this by contacting the nearest OWWA Membership office, visiting their official website, or using their online membership verification system.
- Gather the necessary documents: To renew your OWWA membership, you will typically need the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Valid work visa or employment contract
- Proof of OWWA membership (previous OWWA ID, official receipt, or any relevant documents)
- Accomplished OWWA Membership Renewal Form
- Pay the membership fee: The OWWA membership fee varies depending on the type of membership you hold. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the membership fee for regular OFWs is $25 USD or its equivalent in your local currency. However, please note that fees and processes may have changed, so it’s best to check the latest information on the official OWWA website or contact their office directly.
- Submit the required documents: Once you have gathered all the necessary documents and paid the membership fee, you can submit them to the nearest OWWA office or through their online portal, if available. Make sure to double-check the submission requirements and procedures, as they may vary depending on your location.
- Attend the mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS): If you are an aspiring OFW who hasn’t yet left for work abroad, attending the PDOS is a crucial step. It provides essential information on overseas employment, rights and responsibilities, and available government programs for OFWs. PDOS attendance is typically a requirement for OWWA membership.
- Keep your OWWA records updated: It’s important to keep your contact information and employment details up to date with OWWA. This ensures that you receive timely updates on OWWA programs, services, and benefits that you are entitled to as a member.
Remember, the steps and requirements for OWWA membership renewal may change over time, so it’s advisable to visit the official OWWA website or contact their office for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency established by the Philippine National Government in collaboration with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). Its primary objective is to safeguard and enhance the well-being of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) worldwide, as well as their dependents.
OWWA provides a range of benefits to its active members, aimed at providing financial assistance and supporting career growth. Moreover, immediate beneficiaries of the members can avail themselves of various benefits, such as educational programs and financial aid.
Through the OWWA membership program, documented OFWs receive assistance during the pre-employment phase and gain access to essential training to enhance their preparedness for work and career advancement.
Additionally, the institution offers reintegration programs specifically designed to assist OFWs who are returning to the Philippines permanently. These programs include Livelihood Assistance Services, a Loan Program, and financial aid for livelihood projects, aimed at supporting their successful transition back to their home country.
Qualifications / Eligibility
Who are qualified for OWWA membership? To apply for OWWA membership and get access to the benefits provided by the institution, below are the following criteria for eligibility:
- OFWs at legal age and have acquired an employment contract from the Philippines Overseas Employment Administration (POEA): These are overseas Filipino workers who are of legal age and have obtained an employment contract through the Philippines Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).
- OFWs who have a visa and valid work permit: This refers to overseas Filipino workers who possess a visa and a valid work permit granted by the foreign country where they are employed.
- OFWs with expired OWWA membership: The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency in the Philippines that provides various welfare services to OFWs. This category includes OFWs whose OWWA membership has expired but are still working abroad.
- OFWs who acquired the status of permanent residency in the foreign country they are working and kept their citizenship as Filipino: These are OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in the foreign country where they are employed, while still maintaining their Filipino citizenship.
- OFWs who are working in a foreign country without having proper documentation from POEA and have acquired legal employment from the host country: This refers to OFWs who are working in a foreign country without the necessary documentation from the Philippines Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), but have obtained legal employment through the host country’s regulations.
Please note that the information provided is based on general understanding, and specific circumstances may have additional legal considerations.
What are the requirements/documents/fees that the applicant needs to secure before applying for OWWA membership?
In addition to the qualifications set by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) must ensure that they have fulfilled all the necessary paperwork and paid the required fees before proceeding with their OWWA membership application.
Moreover, the following list comprises only the general requirements, and additional documents may be necessary depending on the specific OWWA Regional office where you choose to process your application. For OFWs who plan to renew their membership in-person, it is advisable to contact the POLO-OWWA office responsible for membership renewal to inquire about the specific application requirements.
- OWWA OFW Information Sheet – Membership Form
- Photocopy of Passport (showing personal data with photo)
- Valid Work Permit
- Certificate of Employment
- Membership Fee of 25 USD (around Php1,000 to Php1,500, depending on the foreign exchange)
Step by Step Process of Becoming a Member of OWWA
Applying for an OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership requires some preparation beforehand to ensure a smooth process and avoid wasting time. Whether you are a new applicant or renewing your membership, it is important to be well-prepared before visiting the OWWA Regional Welfare office in your area. Additionally, OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) who are currently working abroad can utilize the On-Site Membership Program offered by the OWWA International office. Follow the step-by-step process outlined below to become an OWWA member:
- Gather the necessary documents: Before visiting the OWWA office, make sure to gather all the required documents. These may include your passport (valid and with at least six months remaining), valid working visa or permit, proof of overseas employment (such as an employment contract or certificate of employment), and any other supporting documents specified by OWWA. Prepare photocopies of these documents as well.
- Accomplish the OWWA Membership Form: Obtain and duly accomplish the OWWA Membership Form. You can download this form from the official OWWA website or obtain a copy from the OWWA office. Provide accurate and up-to-date information in the form.
- Pay the membership fee: Prepare the necessary payment for the membership fee. The fee may vary depending on your employment status and the OWWA membership category you belong to. Ensure that you have the exact amount or the appropriate payment method accepted by the OWWA office.
- Visit the OWWA Regional Welfare office: Head to the OWWA Regional Welfare office in your area. Make sure to bring all the required documents, accomplished OWWA Membership Form, and the payment for the membership fee. Be prepared for possible queues or waiting times.
- Submit your application: Once you reach the OWWA office, submit your application to the designated personnel. They will review your documents and process your membership application. Answer any additional questions or provide further information if required.
- Attend the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS): If you are a new member or a returning member after an absence of more than three years, you will be required to attend the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS). This seminar aims to equip OFWs with essential information and guidance before working abroad.
- Receive your OWWA Membership Certificate: After completing the necessary steps and fulfilling the requirements, you will be issued an OWWA Membership Certificate. This certificate serves as proof of your OWWA membership and provides access to various benefits and programs offered by OWWA.
Remember to keep your OWWA Membership Certificate in a safe place and renew your membership accordingly to ensure continued access to OWWA services and benefits.
By following these step-by-step instructions and being prepared ahead of time, you can streamline the process of applying for an OWWA membership and make the most of the support and assistance available to OFWs.
1. Secure all the essential requirements for OWWA membership application/renewal, including:
- Original and Photocopy of Passport (showing personal data with photo)
- Other documents such as Photocopy of Passport with valid re-entry visa and arrival stamp, Letter of Consent
- Original and Photocopy of valid work permit
- Employment Certificate
- Duly accomplished OWWA OFW Information Sheet
- Pay membership fee
2. Head to the nearest OWWA office and submit the necessary documents. Also, don’t forget to book an appointment before you visit.
3. Afterward, pay the necessary fee to complete the process. Once the payment is complete, the membership automatically applies.
In case you want to learn more information about the OWWA membership process, please check these common questions to becoming an OWWA member below:
What is the purpose of OWWA membership?
OWWA, or Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, plays a vital role in safeguarding and supporting documented Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs). This institution offers various benefits and assistance to OFWs, starting from their recruitment phase and extending throughout their employment and even during their transition period in the destination country.
OWWA serves as a helpful resource for OFWs who may encounter difficulties while working abroad. The institution provides programs and services that ensure the welfare and security of OFWs, giving them peace of mind despite being away from their home country. These initiatives aim to assist OFWs in times of need and offer them a helping hand when facing challenges overseas.
Membership in OWWA is highly beneficial for OFWs and their dependents. It grants access to a range of support services and benefits, including financial aid, medical assistance, livelihood programs, and educational scholarships. By being a member of OWWA, OFWs can receive valuable assistance and protection, contributing to their overall well-being and that of their families.
In summary, OWWA is dedicated to the protection and welfare of documented OFWs. The institution offers comprehensive support, from the initial stages of employment to the transition period in the host country. With the programs and services provided by OWWA, OFWs can feel secure and assured despite being away from their home country. Therefore, OWWA membership holds significant advantages for OFWs and their dependents.
How to apply online for OWWA Membership?
If you are unable to visit the OWWA office due to inaccessibility or time constraints, you still have the option to process your membership application online. To conveniently apply for membership, follow the steps outlined below:
- Gather all the required documents and ensure that you have clear scanned copies of each.
- Visit the official website of OWWA specific to the country where you will be working or residing.
- Locate the email address of the designated OWWA office in that particular country, and send your scanned documents for evaluation.
- Wait for an email from OWWA instructing you to proceed with the payment of the membership fee. It is crucial not to make the payment without receiving this notice from OWWA.
- Once you receive the notification to complete the membership fee payment, proceed with the payment using the provided options. Your membership will be automatically effective upon successful payment.
- Take a screenshot of the payment confirmation and send it to OWWA’s email address.
- Subsequently, OWWA will send a copy of the official receipt to your email. If you prefer to have the original receipt, you can also schedule an appointment to visit the OWWA office and claim it.
By following these steps, you can process your OWWA membership application conveniently online, even if visiting the physical office is not feasible.
How to renew membership using OWWA mobile app?
To easily renew your OWWA membership, apart from the website application, you can utilize the OWWA mobile app. Follow the steps below:
- Install the OWWA mobile app on your smartphone.
- Log in to your account. If you don’t have an account, sign up using the app.
- Access your profile to review your current employment contract.
- Navigate to the “Information” section to view your membership status. If your membership is marked as “INACTIVE,” click on the “Renew Membership Here” button to initiate the renewal process.
- Complete the required information for payment processing.
- Select your preferred payment option and click “SUBMIT.”
- Verify your membership status under the “Information” section. After making the payment, your membership status will change to “ACTIVE.”
Please note that this rephrased version maintains the original meaning of the text but presents it in a slightly different way.
How to check online OWWA Membership status?
OWWA, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, has launched a mobile app to provide convenience to OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers). With the OWWA mobile app, OFWs can access a range of services at their fingertips. They can check their membership status, view personal information, employment details, benefits provided to members, and renewal procedures, among other features.
In addition to OWWA’s contact details, the app allows OFWs to update their personal information and make online membership payments. It also provides a payment history section for reference. To check your OWWA membership status and enjoy the ease of processing, follow the steps below:
- Install the OWWA mobile app on your device and create an account.
- Log in to your account if you already have one, or sign up as a new member if you don’t.
- Once you’re logged in, select the “Information” button within the app.
- Check your membership status, which will be displayed as either “ACTIVE” or “INACTIVE”.
By following these steps, you can easily check your OWWA membership status using the mobile app.
Are OFWs automatic OWWA members?
OWWA aims to provide numerous benefits to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). However, it’s important to note that not all OFWs are automatic members of OWWA. Only those who are considered “documented” or “legal” OFWs are automatically enrolled in the institution.
If you are a Filipino currently employed abroad and want to avail yourself of OWWA’s assistance, you can visit the nearest OWWA office or POLO-OWWA office in the country where you are working to undergo the documentation process for your employment. Once you have obtained legal status as an OFW, you can proceed with your OWWA membership application and gain access to a range of benefits.
Is it mandatory for OFW to join OWWA?
Considering that the institution aims to protect and promote the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents, it is deemed necessary for OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership to be mandatory for all OFWs. With the array of services offered by the institution, including life insurance, educational plans, and various beneficial programs, the requirement of OWWA membership is indeed justified
When does OWWA Membership expire?
OWWA membership has an expiration date. It remains valid for a period of two years starting from the time your membership was processed. To verify the status of your membership, you can refer to the date specified on your Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). If the date is within the two-year timeframe, it indicates that you are still an active OWWA member.
How to book an appointment online with OWWA?
To book an appointment with the OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) office in the National Capital Region (NCR), please follow the steps below:
- Visit the official website of OWWA or the OWWA-NCR Regional Office website, if available. Ensure that you are accessing the official and legitimate website.
- Look for the appointment booking section on the website. It may be labeled as “Online Appointment” or something similar.
- Click on the appointment booking section and select the type of service you require. It could be membership renewal, document submission, or any other service provided by OWWA.
- Fill in the required information accurately and completely. You may need to provide your personal details, such as your name, contact information, OWWA membership number (if applicable), and purpose of your visit.
- Select the preferred date and time for your appointment. Choose an available slot that suits your schedule.
- Double-check all the information you entered to ensure it is correct. Mistakes or incorrect information may cause issues during your visit.
- Submit your appointment request. You may receive a confirmation message or reference number, depending on the system used by OWWA.
- Save or print the appointment confirmation, if available. It is recommended to have a physical or digital copy of the confirmation for reference during your visit to the OWWA office.
- On the day of your appointment, make sure to bring all the required documents and identification that are relevant to the service you need. Prepare any additional paperwork or forms that may be necessary.
- Arrive at the OWWA office on time for your scheduled appointment. Present your appointment confirmation, along with your identification and relevant documents, to the designated personnel.
By following these steps, you can book an appointment with the OWWA office in the National Capital Region (NCR) and ensure a smoother process for your document submission or membership renewal. Remember that procedures may vary between different OWWA Regional Offices, so it’s important to consult the specific instructions and guidelines provided by your respective regional office.
- Visit the online portal for an appointment at https://appointment.owwa.gov.ph/
- Select the OWWA Regional Office
- Select the type of program for the appointment
- Choose your preferred date to book the appointment
- Fill out the Personal Information
- Click the “Next” button
- Next, check the appointment information and click “Submit Appointment”
How to download OWWA Registration form?
To process your OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) membership, one of the essential documents you need is the OFW Information Sheet. This form is necessary for both first-time applicants and individuals renewing their membership to maintain an active status.
To obtain a copy of the OWWA form, you can visit the official OWWA website at https://owwa.gov.ph. On the website, you will be able to download the form directly. Make sure to periodically secure a copy of the OWWA form, as it is required for processing your membership application or renewal.
Why is my OWWA is inactive?
The OWWA membership is valid for a duration of two years and is applicable only to the employer specified during the application process. If your membership has already exceeded the two-year validity period, it will become inactive.
However, if your membership has not yet reached the two-year mark but you switch to a new employer, your membership status will automatically become inactive. In such a case, you will need to renew your membership to take advantage of the benefits.
To initiate the process of membership renewal through the On-Site Membership Program, please contact them directly via email. Explain that your membership has become inactive due to a change in employer and request the renewal of your OWWA membership. Additionally, please scan the required documents listed below and attach them to the email.
- uly accomplished OWWA Information Sheet
- Employment Certificate
- Photocopy of Passport (showing personal data with photo)
As mentioned in the video, members of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) are entitled to numerous benefits from the institution. One of the benefits is the availability of various assistance programs, including OFW loans and programs related to calamity, medical emergencies, death, and relief. In the unfortunate event of an accident, active OWWA members can also access disability benefits.
Furthermore, OWWA offers educational and training programs for both members and their beneficiaries. This comprehensive support provided by the institution aims to assist overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in all aspects of their lives.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there’s anything else I can assist you with!
In conclusion, OWWA membership is beneficial not only for active members but also for their families. Being a member of this organization allows OFWs to document their work, not just for accessing services but also for receiving assistance during difficult times.
Therefore, it is important for OFWs to ensure that their membership status remains active in order to avail the services and programs offered by OWWA. If you have any questions or concerns about your OWWA membership, you can email the OWWA Regional Welfare office located near your province or contact the nearest POLO-OWWA office if you are abroad.
Now that you understand the process of renewing OWWA membership and the benefits it provides, we hope this information is helpful to you. Stay tuned for more updates and don’t forget to share this article with your friends!
How to Renew OWWA Membership in Specific POLO-OWWA offices
If you are wondering how you can sign up for your OWWA membership in each specific POLO-OWWA office abroad, please check out the following articles we published for each specific city:
- OWWA Appointment and Membership in Singapore
- OWWA Appointment and Membership in Dubai, UAE
- OWWA Appointment and Membership in Abu Dhabi, UAE
- OWWA Appointment and Membership in Doha, Qatar
- OWWA Appointment and Membership in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- OWWA Appointment and Membership in Kuwait
- OWWA Appointment Membership California, USA
- OWWA Appointment Membership Washington DC, USA
- OWWA Appointment Membership Syria
- OWWA Appointment Membership Macau
- OWWA Appointment Membership Amman, Jordan
- OWWA Appointment Membership Seoul, Korea
- OWWA Appointment Membership France
- OWWA Appointment Membership Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- OWWA Appointment Membership Brunei
- OWWA Appointment Membership Beirut, Lebanon
- OWWA Appointment Membership Beirut, Lebanon
- OWWA Appointment Membership Vancouver, Canada
- OWWA Appointment Membership Calgary, Canada
- OWWA Appointment Membership Toronto, Canada
- OWWA Appointment Membership Osaka, Japan
- OWWA Appointment Membership Tokyo, Japan
- OWWA Appointment Membership Berlin, Germany
- OWWA Appointment Membership Athens, Greece
- OWWA Appointment Membership London, UK
- OWWA Appointment Membership Wellington, New Zealand
- OWWA Appointment Membership Australia